Lithium Australia expands holding adjacent to the world’s largest lithium mine

373
Image credit: Lithium Australia ASX release

Lithium Australia has more than doubled its holdings adjacent to Western Australia’s prospective Greenbushes area with the recent grant of three exploration licenses (E70/4788, E70/4789, E70/4790).

Image credit: Lithium Australia ASX release
Image credit: Lithium Australia ASX release

Greenbushes hosts the world’s largest lithium mine which currently produces about 40% of global lithium supply from pegmatites, mined approximately 200km south of Perth, in Western Australia.

The area hosts abundant pegmatites the emplacement of which appears to be structurally controlled.

“A number of major structural features occur within the area, including the Donnybrook – Bridgetown Shear within which the Greenbushes pergamtite is located,” Lithium said in a statement.

“Numerous subsidiary structures have been identified in the area, some of which are also associated with the emplacement of pegmatites.”

The company holds an 80% equity in the Greenbushes project. The remaining 20% is free-carried “to the point at which a decision is made to undertake a feasibility study.”

The company said that initial phases of exploration, which have already commenced, will employ non-invasive technologies to model the chemical evolution of the intrusive rocks forming part of the pegmatite complex.

According to Managing Director Adrian Griffin, the geochemical profiles will also help delineate the more prospective structural trends for further examination.

“The grant of the three new licences will enable Lithium Australia to gain a much more complete picture of the geological systems that have created the world’s largest known lithium pegmatite,” he said.

“The potential of the area is outstanding and we will use our experience to evaluate that potential in an effort to unlock the latent value of the area.”